Sunday, January 22, 2006

MySQL Generates a Really Annoying Message

MySQL generates a really annoying error message.

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'selet * from ...' at line 1

Thanks for telling me to check the manual. And I would have forgotten to use syntax that corresponds to my server version! And thanks for telling me these things EACH and EVERY time I make a typo.

Turns out it's easy to change that error message to something less obnoxious. I found the MySQL error messages in /usr/share/mysql/english/errmsg.txt on my system for my language. Yours is someplace equivalent.
  1. Change errmsg.txt to suit your needs. I changed the syntax error to "SQL syntax error".
  2. Run "comp_err errmsg.txt errmsg.sys"
  3. Restart the MySQL server. (I use "/etc/init.d/mysql restart".)

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Yeah, so MySQL changed the format, and these files are now binary format. I'll figure out the new mechanism write a new post.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home